Stoke-on-Trent Central MP, Jo Gideon spoke at the Centre for Progressive Policy's recent event on Levelling-Up : Where to invest to help left behind communities across the UK, where she made the case for spending and investment in social infrastructure.
Watch the full event here
Jo Gideon MP said: "As things stand, the UK is the most economically imbalanced country in the industrialised world. Income before tax and benefits is now nearly 70% higher in London than the rest of the UK, up from around 30% higher in 1997.
"While I will keep pressing government for investment in more and better-paid jobs, and in attracting “oven ready” schemes such as the Advanced Ceramics Campus which builds on the proud heritage of the city, the pandemic has shown us that not always is it reasonable, or indeed preferable to expect government to solve every challenge in society.
"While it is an important aspect of our economic recovery, we cannot simply focus on investment in our physical infrastructure. We must invest in our social infrastructure, in our community assets and in our third sector if we want to truly level up across the country and deliver an economic recovery that works for everyone.
"Levelling up is not just about catching up with other parts of the country. It’s about aiming high; being bold; being pioneers... This is the time to be brave if we want real change. To find lasting solutions in areas of social inequality, we must be prepared to trust local champions, to grow the capacity of our communities and to invest in our social infrastructure."