COVID-19 is a new illness that can affect your lungs and airways.
Stay at home if you have coronavirus symptoms, only leave home to get a test.
Stay at home if you have either:
- a high temperature – you feel hot to touch on your chest or back
- a new, continuous cough – this means you’ve started coughing repeatedly
- A loss of change to your sense of taste or smell
Do not go to a GP surgery, pharmacy or hospital.
If you've got symptoms - get tested.
To book a test go to NHS.uk/coronavirus or call 119
How long to stay at home
- if you have symptoms, stay at home for 10 days
- if you live with other people, they should stay at home for 14 days from the day the first person got symptoms
If you live with someone who is 70 or over, has a long-term condition, is pregnant or has a weakened immune system, try to find somewhere else for them to stay for 14 days.
If you have to stay at home together, try to keep away from each other as much as possible.
Read our advice about staying at home.
How to avoid catching and spreading coronavirus?
Everyone should do what they can to stop coronavirus spreading.
It is particularly important for people who:
- are 70 or over
- have a long-term condition
- are pregnant
- have a weakened immune system
- wash your hands with soap and water often – do this for at least 20 seconds
- always wash your hands when you get home or into work
- use hand sanitiser gel if soap and water are not available
- cover your mouth and nose with a tissue or your sleeve (not your hands) when you cough or sneeze
- put used tissues in the bin immediately and wash your hands afterwards
- avoid close contact with people who have symptoms of coronavirus
- only travel on public transport if you need to
- work from home, if you can
- avoid events with large groups of people, only meet up in groups with a maximum of 6
- use phone, online services, or apps to contact your GP surgery or other NHS services
- do not touch your eyes, nose or mouth if your hands are not clean
- do not have visitors to your home, including friends and family
For the latest information about Coronavirus, Visit: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavirus-covid-19-information-for-the-public
Contact and advice for businesses from Stoke-On-Trent City Council https://www.stoke.gov.uk/homepage/113/coronavirus_information
Medical advice – https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/
Travel advice – https://www.gov.uk/guidance/travel-advice-novel-coronavirus
Help and support for your business – https://www.gov.uk/business-support-helpline
Statutory Sick Pay – https://www.gov.uk/statutory-sick-pay